Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Marshmallow Fondant


My friend Ivy just had a baby and I am inspired to make this fondant for the cupcakes. I always see people making and receiving cute little full moon cupcakes. It's a Chinese tradition to celebrate full moon, when the baby turns one month's old.

Here's the recipe for the marshmallow fondant, it's so fun to play with, just like play doh.. I can spend hours playing with it, I never get to play with play doh when I was younger... now is my chance :)

1/4 cup of softened butter
1 bag of 400g/ 16 oz mini marshmallow
4 tbs water
1 tsp vanilla
2 pounds icing, about 4 cups

Put the marshmallow in the microwave, on high for 30 seconds.
Take it out, whisk it with the water and vanilla.
I put it in my Kitchen Aid and mix them together because it's very sticky. You may do it by hand, and transfer it to a working surface, make a mountain and then make a hole in the middle and work with it on your working table top.
If you use the mixer, just put everything in, and keep a cup of icing sugar to knead with after, on the table top.
Rub your hand with the butter before you knead them. It can be very sticky. Once it's not sticky then you can store it with a cling wrap, and double wrap with the ziplock bag. Make sure it's airtight. Your can get better instructions and videos on allrecipe.com.
Their recipes ask to refrigerate it but I just keep it in a cool place because it's cold enough here. This fondant can last for a few weeks. I just take it out, add a little water whenever I want to decorate the cake. It's so convenient and so fun to play with.

I will bake some cupcakes tomorrow. I bought some boxed cake mix today because it was only $1! I've never baked a cake before in my life, just started 2 months ago, I just want to try everything out. This is a good distraction for me away from the kids, when I bake I feel relaxed. Stay tune my cupcakes tomorrow, I can't wait to bake and decorate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment