Saturday, October 9, 2010

The best buttermilk pancake


I woke up this morning and I told hubby, "I wanna eat pancake". He thought I was going to make my thin pancake, but this is a different pancake I was talking about. It's the BEST Buttermilk Pancake. My mother-in-law made it once and I fell in love with it.

I was going to make it with normal milk, from the recipe but hubby said it has to be buttermilk. He asked can I wait until lunch for the pancake, so we can get the buttermilk, I said no. I really really wanted to eat this pancake for some reason, and no, I am not pregnant.

Anyway, here's the recipe;
1/2 cup (125ml) unsalted butter
2 cups (500ml) buttermilk or 2 cups (500ml) milk with 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon juice
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup (50 ml) sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
butter for cooking
1. Melt butter in microwave or stove, set aside to cool. Measure out butter milk let stand for 5 mins to thickened. In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with sugar,baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the centre
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with buttermilk, cooled and melted butter and vanilla. Pour into well in flour mixture. Using a wooden spoon stir until just blend. The batter should be lumpy. For fluffy pancakes, mix as little as possible.
3. Lightly coat a large frying pan with butter and set over medium heat. Pour 1/3 cup of batter into pan. Pancake will be about 6 in. wide. Add 1 or 2 more pancakes. Gently press peaches/berries into batter.
4. Cook until bubbles form on the top of each pancake and edges begin to brown, 2-4 mins. Using a wide spatula flip and continue cooking until the bottoms of the pancakes become golden. Don't press of they will become tough.
5.Serve right away or place on a plate and keep it warm in a low temparature oven while cooking remaining pancakes. They are delicious drizzled with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment